Buckeye Peer Access Line
Need to Talk? Call a Buckeye PAL!
The Peer Access Line is a new initiative within Student Life that aims to provide an accessible peer-to-peer support that promotes and enhances student development and well-being.
The Student Life Student Wellness Center is seeking students who are interested in volunteering 3-4 hours per week to answer non-emergency, incoming calls, serving as a support system for their peers and referring them to appropriate resources.
If you are interested in serving in this important role, please fill out this interest form. We will be in touch with more information, including next steps and an application process.
Thank you for your interest. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of being a Buckeye PAL:
- Gain extensive training and knowledge on wellness related issues facing the college student population
- Connect with professional staff and become involved with campus-wide committees focusing on health, wellness and safety
- Join a diverse team dedicated to providing support and resources to their peers
- Develop and apply strong interpersonal communication skills
Buckeye PALs must:
- Be a current undergraduate, graduate or professional student at The Ohio State University
- Have the ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in writing
- Be responsible, dependable, and have the ability to apply sound judgement and remain calm, even in stressful situations
- Have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to all other rules, guidelines and ethical standards
- Refrain from providing advice or sharing personal information, experiences, opinions or values
- Have the ability to practice active listening
- Have respect and support for diversity of people with appreciation for the complexity of human dilemmas
- Have a genuine desire to help others but also a recognition of the limits of one’s abilities to support others
- Volunteer 3-4 hours a week, including evenings and weekends
- Attend mandatory trainings
- Attend staff meetings and one-on-ones with supervisor