The Buckeye Peer Access Line (PAL) is a new initiative within Student Life that aims to provide accessible peer-to-peer support that promotes and enhances student development and well-being.
The Student Life Student Wellness Center is seeking students who are interested in volunteering 3-4 hours per week to answer non-emergency, incoming calls, serving as a support system for their peers and referring them to appropriate resources.
Interested students should apply by filling out the BuckeyePAL application due Sunday Mar. 29, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
Benefits of being a Buckeye PAL:
- Gain extensive training and knowledge on wellness related issues facing the college student population
- Connect with professional staff and become involved with campus-wide committees focusing on health, wellness and safety
- Join a diverse team dedicated to providing support and resources to their peers
- Develop and apply strong interpersonal communication skills
Buckeye PALs must:
- Be a current undergraduate, graduate or professional student at The Ohio State University
- Have the ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in writing
- Be responsible, dependable, and have the ability to apply sound judgement and remain calm, even in stressful situations
- Have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to all other rules, guidelines and ethical standards
- Have the ability to practice active listening
- Have respect and support for diversity of people with appreciation for the complexity of human dilemmas
- Have a genuine desire to help others but also a recognition of the limits of one’s abilities to support others
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
Volunteer 3-4 hours a week including the following:
- Promote PAL outreach and recruitment efforts
- Volunteer weekday night shifts M-F, 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- Attend mandatory, in-person training
- Attend staff meetings and one-on-ones with supervisor
Application Timeline (Extended due to COVID-19):
- Mar. 1, 2020: Application opens at noon
- Mar. 29, 2020: Application closes at midnight
- Apr. 6, 2020: Interviews Begin
- Apr. 24, 2020: Notification of final decision
PAL Required Training Dates:
- Tues. Aug. 18 - Fri. Aug. 21
- Additional training will be facilitated through ongoing staff meetings and shadowing opportunities
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.