The Buckeye Peer Access Line (PAL) is a new initiative within Student Life that aims to provide accessible peer-to-peer support that promotes and enhances student development and well-being.
The Student Life Student Wellness Center is seeking students who are interested in volunteering 3-4 hours per week to answer non-emergency, incoming calls, serving as a support system for their peers and referring them to appropriate resources.
Interested students should apply by filling out the BuckeyePAL application due Friday Nov. 1, 2019 by 11:59 p.m.
Attend an Information Session (Locations will be updated by Oct. 11):
- Tuesday October 15, 5-6 p.m., Hale Hall Rm. 110B
- Friday October 18, 2-3 p.m., Ohio Union Multicultural Center, Alonso Family Room
- Tuesday October 22, 4-5 p.m., PAES Rm. 445
- Friday October 25, 3-4 p.m., RPAC Meeting Room 2
Benefits of being a Buckeye PAL:
- Gain extensive training and knowledge on wellness related issues facing the college student population
- Connect with professional staff and become involved with campus-wide committees focusing on health, wellness and safety
- Join a diverse team dedicated to providing support and resources to their peers
- Develop and apply strong interpersonal communication skills
Buckeye PALs must:
- Be a current undergraduate, graduate or professional student at The Ohio State University
- Have the ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in writing
- Be responsible, dependable, and have the ability to apply sound judgement and remain calm, even in stressful situations
- Have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to all other rules, guidelines and ethical standards
- Have the ability to practice active listening
- Have respect and support for diversity of people with appreciation for the complexity of human dilemmas
- Have a genuine desire to help others but also a recognition of the limits of one’s abilities to support others
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
Volunteer 3-4 hours a week including the following:
- Promote PAL outreach and recruitment efforts
- Volunteer weekday night shifts M-F, 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- Attend mandatory, in-person training
- Attend staff meetings and one-on-ones with supervisor
- Sept. 30, 2019: Application opens at noon
- Nov. 1, 2019: Application closes at midnight
- Nov.11, 2019: Interviews Begin
- Dec. 4, 2019: Notification of final decision
PAL Required Training Dates:
- Friday January 10, 2020: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.
- Saturday January 11, 2020: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday January 12, 2020: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Friday January 31, 2020: 3 p.m. -7 p.m.
- Saturday, February 1, 2020: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Additional training will be facilitated through ongoing staff meetings and shadowing opportunities
Please email email@example.com with any questions.