The Buckeye Peer Access Line (PAL) is a new initiative within Student Life that aims to provide accessible peer-to-peer support that promotes and enhances student development and well-being.
The Student Life Student Wellness Center is seeking students who are interested in volunteering 3-4 hours per week to answer non-emergency, incoming calls, serving as a support system for their peers and referring them to appropriate resources. PAL volunteers will also participate in outreach and marketing efforts, and attend all required trainings and meetings.
Buckeye PAL Applications are now open until March 21 at 11:59 pm. Apply to be a PAL volunteer here: go.osu.edu/buckeyepalapp.
Benefits of being a Buckeye PAL:
- Gain extensive training and knowledge on wellness related issues facing the college student population
- Connect with professional staff and become involved with campus-wide committees focusing on health, wellness and safety
- Join a diverse team dedicated to providing support and resources to their peers
- Develop and apply strong interpersonal communication skills
Buckeye PALs must:
- Be a current undergraduate, graduate or professional student at The Ohio State University
- Have the ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in writing
- Be responsible, dependable, and have the ability to apply sound judgement and remain calm, even in stressful situations
- Have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to all other rules, guidelines and ethical standards
- Have the ability to practice active listening
- Seek to increase education, knowledge, and support of diversity, equity and inclusion for Ohio State student's mental health and wellness
- Have a genuine desire to help others but also a recognition of the limits of one’s abilities to support others
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
Volunteer 3-4 hours a week including the following:
- Participate in and promote PAL outreach and recruitment efforts
- Volunteer weekday night shifts M-F, 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- Attend mandatory, in-person training
- Attend staff meetings and one-on-ones with supervisor
- Sunday, February 21, 2021: Application opens at noon
- Sunday, March 21, 2021: Application closes at midnight
- Monday, April 5, 2021: Interviews Begin
- Monday, April 19, 2021: Notification of final decision
PAL Required Training Dates:
- Monday, August 16 - Friday August 20
- Additional training will be facilitated through ongoing staff meetings and shadowing opportunities
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.