What is a Relationship Education and Violence Prevention Ambassador?
Relationship Education and Violence Prevention (REVP) Ambassadors are Ohio State students dedicated to sexual violence prevention and peer education. REVP Ambassadors are fully immersed in the topics of sexual violence and prevention in order to present sessions for the First Year Success Series (FYSS), Second-Year Transformational Experience program (STEP) and other Student Life Student Wellness Center events throughout the academic year. REVP Ambassadors facilitate presentations that encourage healthy relationships and prevent violence at all levels, including Buck-I-CARE about Consent.
Weekly staff meetings and trainings provide ambassadors an opportunity to grow a support network of diverse individuals with a passion for social change and education in areas of sexual violence prevention and sex positivity. As an ambassador, you will develop personal and professional skills applicable to future career goals.
Interested in Applying?
All current Ohio State students are eligible to apply for an ambassador position and will be chosen based on the desired qualifications listed below. Students may be disqualified or dismissed from a position if they have received (or receive) student conduct sanctions regarding sexual misconduct.
Applications for 2019-2020 are now open. Interested in becoming an Ambassdor? Fill out the Ambassador Application by November 3.
The application requires the following:
- Personal and academic information (including GPA)
- Responses to three essays (no more than 250 words)
- Describe consent in your own words.
- Why are you interested in becoming a REVP Ambassador?
- What skills, qualities, or previous experiences have prepared you to be a peer educator?
- 9/30/19: Applications open
- 11/3/19: Applications close at 11:59 pm
- 11/8/19: Notification of interview status
- 11/12/19 - 11/22/19: Interviews
- 11/26/19: Applicants notified
- 1/8/20: REVP Ambassador Meetings begin
Required Tasks and Responsibilities
Ambassadors can expect to spend approximately five hours in an average week in ambassador-related activities. Additional time commitments include self-education. Beyond academics, the role should be a priority in your time commitments on campus.
- Attend weekly staff meetings on Wednesdays 5 PM – 7 PM
- Facilitate approximately two Buck-I-CARE about Consent programs per week during the autumn semester
- Facilitate approximately two Buck-I-CARE about Consent, STEP-related, or requested programs per week during the spring semester
- Participate in REVP program development, including Ambassador recruitment
- Facilitate other SLSWC programs and attend events as requested
- Document and report any sexual misconduct disclosures
- Other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled student at Ohio State who will be enrolled at Ohio State (Columbus) for the full academic year
- Good academic standing with a minimum 2.5 GPA and good disciplinary standing
- Strong oral presentation skills
- Understanding or willingness to learn and incorporate inclusivity concepts regarding gender, sexual orientation, race and other identities
- Comfortable discussing sex, consent and sexual violence
- Understanding or willingness to learn sex-positive practices
- Commitment to self-improvement, student leadership and peer-led education
- Become a voice for sexual violence prevention
- Make a difference at The Ohio State University by connecting with thousands of students
- Develop strong presentation, critical thinking and interpersonal skills
- Form new friendships with fellow Buckeyes
- Discover other opportunities within the Student Life Student Wellness Center
- Have fun!
Contact Cate Heaney Gary at email@example.com.