Apply to Become an HIV/STI Test Counselor
The application window for the 2020-2021 academic year closed on Sunday, January 26, 2020.
The Student Life Student Wellness Center, in collaboration with the Multicultural Center, offers free HIV, chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis testing to all Ohio State students during the autumn and spring semesters. This work would not be possible without the dedication and effort of student volunteer HIV/STI test counselors.
- Administrating STI test (urine screen) for chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Improving client perception of risk related to sexual activity
- Identifying client risk behaviors related to sexual activity
- Negotiating a reasonable and realistic plan to help reduce client risk
- Supporting client in preparing for the result and possible treatment options
- Assisting client in accessing sexual health resources on and off campus
Ideal HIV/STI test counselors are undergraduate, graduate or professional Ohio State students who are open-minded, non-judgmental, friendly and reliable.
HIV/STI test counselors are required to attend a two-day training (February 21 from 3-7pm and February 22 from 9am to 4:30pm) and volunteer a minimum of 2 hours a week, as well as attend monthly professional development and outreach events on campus. At most, the volunteer commitment will be four hours per week for twelve weeks of the semester.
- December 16, 2019 - January 26, 2020: Application Window Open
- January 27-31, 2020: Applicants Notified of Status
- February 3-7, 2020: Formal Interview Process
- February 21 and 22, 2020: Mandatory Training
- February 24- April 10, 2020: Shadowing and Evaluation Period
- Autumn 2020 Term: Assume Independent Volunteer Role
- Develop strong critical thinking, problem solving and interpersonal communication skills
- Deepen knowledge around HIV/STI testing, prevention and education
- Make a difference at The Ohio State University by connecting with hundreds of students
- Become a voice for sexual health education and wellness on campus
- Discover other opportunities within the Student Life Student Wellness Center
- Form new friendships with fellow Buckeyes!
Call 614-292-5654 or email Wellness Coordinator Natalie Fiato at email@example.com.