Sexual Health Resources
What is Sexual Health?
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines sexual health as a state of physical, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality. It requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence.
Being sexually healthy means:
- Understanding that sexuality is a natural part of life and involves more than sexual behavior.
- Recognizing and respecting the sexual rights we all share.
- Having access to sexual health information, education, and care.
- Making an effort to prevent unintended pregnancies and STDs and seek care and treatment when needed.
- Being able to experience sexual pleasure, satisfaction, and intimacy when desired.
- Being able to communicate about sexual health with others including sexual partners and healthcare providers.
AIDS Healthcare Foundation
AHF is currently the largest provider of HIV/AIDS medical care in the United States. More information can be found on the AIDS Healthcare Foundation website.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The CDC offers an extensive amount of information about sexually transmitted infections/diseases, including transmission routes, symptoms, testing and treatment.
The CDC also offers information about different types of contraceptives for preventing pregnancy.
Office on Women's Health (OWH)
OWH offers an extensive amount of information on reproductive health, in addition to other health and wellness topics.
Columbus Public Health
Offers HIV testing and education, as well as STI exams, tests and treatment. Also hosts the Take Care Down There Clinic and Sexual Health Clinic. More information can be found on the Columbus Public Health website.
Offers free, confidential HIV and STI testing during select dates and times. More information can be found on the Equitas Health website.
Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio
Offers birth control, emergency contraception, STI testing and treatment, vaccines, HIV testing, pregnancy testing, counseling and care. More information can be found on the Planned Parenthood website.
Ohio State Services
- Student Life Multicultural Center | mcc.osu.edu | 614-688-8449
- Student Life Counseling and Consultation Service | ccs.osu.edu | 614-292-5766
- Student Life Disability Services | slds.osu.edu | 614-292-3307
- Student Life Student Health Services | shs.osu.edu | 614-292-4321
The Wilce Student Health Center offers STI screens and pregnancy screens through order-it-yourself testing, as well as men's and women's clinical services, including the HPV vaccine, contraceptive services, pap smears and physical exams.
National and State Hotlines
- Ohio HIV/STI Hotline: 1-800-332-2437
- National HIV/AIDS Hotline: 1-800-342-2437
- National HIV/AIDS Hotline (Spanish): 1-800-344-7432
- National STD Hotline: 1-800-227-8922
- Sexual Assault Response Network of Central Ohio (SARNCO) 24/7 Hotline: 614-267-7020
- Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564
- Office On Women's Health Helpline: 1-800-994-9662