The intellectually well person values lifelong learning and seeks to foster critical thinking, develop moral reasoning, expand worldviews and engage in education for the pursuit of knowledge. Intellectual wellness is achieving academic success, demonstrating learning and using information well.
Taking an Active Role in Your Intellectual Wellness
Choose a major or program of study that you find engaging, challenging and enriching. Develop effective time management and study strategies. Seek out experiential learning through internships, co-ops, jobs, service-learning opportunities, education abroad and more. Engage in activities that will enhance your intellectual wellness such as reading for fun or participating in a trivia night.
Promoting Intellectual Wellness In and Outside the Classroom
As staff and faculty, we are here to support students enrolled at Ohio State in advancing their knowledge and successfully navigating their academic career. Through coursework, projects, and extracurricular activities, students are supporting their intellectual wellness to promote both personal and professional growth. To assist in this growth, we can challenge students both in and outside of the classroom with critical thinking and problem-solving activities as well as assisting them in making the connection between classroom learning and real-life application.
Examples of Intellectual Wellness Activities and Promotion in the Classroom:
- Connect students to tutoring or study groups
- Creative problem solving – post a difficult Sudoku or other puzzle for students to complete, those who finish the puzzle correctly can turn in for a prize or extra credit
Examples of Intellectual Wellness Activities and Promotion outside the Classroom:
- Reading day / study break activities
- As a group attend a guest lecturer or community event or offer extra credit for attendance
- Learn more about students’ academic and career goals
- Encourage students to take a non-academic class as a group (cooking, pottery, crafts, etc.)